Many times when you purchase your policy online or over the phone, there is a good chance that you won’t be told about the various ways you can save a significant amount of money on auto insurance. When you buy a policy from an independent insurance agent, the agent will take the time to uncover the discounts you qualify for as well as the discounts you can easily obtain. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when thinking of acquiring a new policy.
1. Take a Defensive Driving Course - You can take these courses online or in a classroom. These eight hours of instruction can earn you up to 10% for up to three years while only costing you 10-30 dollars.
2. Check for a Mature Driver’s Discount - Drivers who are around 50 or older can see if they qualify for a mature driver’s discount. They are not an automatic discount, so you have to talk to your agent about if you qualify. Most insurance companies offer them, but the actual age may differ depending on your company. The discount can be between 5-10%.
3. Investigate if you are Eligible for the Multi-policy Discount - If your homeowners or renters insurance is placed with the same company that provides auto insurance, you will usually get a discount (known as a multiple policy discount), on both policies. The discounts can differ depending on the insurance carrier, so talk with you agent to see if your insurance offers the discount and if you qualify.
4. Look into a Military Discount if Applicable - Consumers who are on active duty, have retired from the armed forces, or are a member of the National Guard or Reserves are entitled to a discount on your automobile policy depending on your provider.
5. Qualifying for a Safe Driver Discounts - If you are accident free for a set period of time, you may qualify for a safe driver discount. Talk to your agent to see what you insurance company offers and if you are eligible.
6. Check for a Decreased Mileage Discount - If you have retired, you may be putting less mileage on your vehicle. The insurance company knows that less mileage means the lower the risk of having to file an insurance claim. The amount of the discount depends on your state, so check with your agent for details.
7. Look into PIP Discount - If a certain amount of miles driven each year is completed by a driver at a certain age, some insurance companies offer a discount on Personal Insurance Protection (PIP) coverage.
Getting all the discounts you qualify for when you are fifties will help you manage your rates when they start to rise in your sixties. Call us today at (800) 807-6871 to see which discounts you qualify for.